ATLANTA, Ga. - Thousands of visitors are in downtown Atlanta for a variety of sporting events, concerts, parades and other activities this Labor Day weekend.
The Atlanta Police Department is urging people to take MARTA or carpool to minimize the traffic volume expected in downtown and midtown Atlanta.
Police are also encouraging people to be aware of their surroundings and be mindful of the department's "See Something, Say Something" campaign, which encourages people to call police about suspicious activity.
Participants should be mindful of parking only in permitted lots and be sure to pay attention to any "No Parking" signs to avoid tickets or fines. Violators are also subject to having their vehicles towed and impounded.
The Georgia Department of Transportation is suspending construction-related closures on interstates until 5 a.m. Tuesday to accommodate holiday traffic. But drivers should still be cautious of possible event-related closures.
More than a dozen major events will be held this Labor Day weekend, including the Atlanta Black Gay Pride, DragonCon and Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game activities. Here's a partial list of events:
Labor Day Weekend Events (partial list of events) Click here.
• Atlanta Black Gay Pride, Downtown and Midtown Atlanta, August 28 - September 3
• Atlanta Falcons vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, Georgia Dome, August 29
• Georgia State University vs. Samford University, Georgia Dome, August 30
• Dragon Con, Downtown Atlanta, August 30 - September 2 (Includes parade at 10 a.m. on Saturday)
• Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, Georgia World Congress Center, August 31
• Chick-fil-A Kickoff Concert featuring Sheryl Crow, Centennial Olympic Park, August 31
• Georgia Tech vs. Elon Phoenix, Bobby Dodd Stadium, August 31
• Atlanta Braves vs. Miami Marlins, Turner Field, September 1
• Action Dash 5k, Piedmont Park, September 2
Stay with Channel 2 Action News throughout the day for the latest traffic coverage. Get updates on Channel 2 Action News at Noon and WSBTV.com