by: Tyisha Fernandes Updated:
CHATTOOGA COUNTY, Ga. - Six people, including four children, were killed in a mobile home fire late Sunday night in Chattooga County.
Glenn Allen, with the Office of Insurance and Fire Safety Commissioner, said the fire happened in the city of Trion around 10:30 p.m.
Channel 2's Tyisha Fernandes learned the victims were: Miron Bradley Jones, 29; Demi Josephine Jones, 22; Clair McKenzie Jones, 5; Lola Rosanna Jones, 3; Olivia Josephina Jones, 3 months; and Jada Marie Kendrick, 5.
Miron and Demi died trying to rescue the children, Allen said.
“DJ was the best mother you ever want to meet. She was deaf, but when it comes to those babies, that was the best thing for her,” family member Sharon Pope said.
The fire marshal said the fire appears to be accidental. The fire was caused by improper installation of a wood stove heater, the marshal said. The heater was installed Sunday by the owner of the mobile home.
“Brad was going to make sure those babies were warm, and he had no other option, so he did what he thought was right to keep them warm and it cost them their lives,” Pope said.
Neighbors said they could see the flames from across the street.
- Chief: Kids killed in Clayton Co. home were not intended target
- Shaq becomes new owner of historic Atlanta Krispy Kreme store
- NBA TV host Kristen Ledlow robbed at gunpoint in Atlanta
“I thought they were burning trash at first and when I got over here I could see it was just engulfed in flames coming out of the window,” Brian Osburn said.
Obsurn said he tried to help, but it was too late.
“It was fire underneath, fire everywhere. (There) wasn’t nothing you could do and by that time the fire department had finally showed up," he said.
Friends stopped by the home Monday to pray for the family of those killed.
“They’re really going to need prayers from a lot of people in the next coming days,” Debra Gray said.
Allen said there were 14 fire deaths over the weekend in Georgia – six in Trion, five in Duluth, one in Jessup, one in Moultrie and one in Albany.
Neighbors in Chattooga County said they are worried about more fires starting in the rural area because there aren’t any fire hydrants.
They said firefighters had to keep bringing trucks full of water to put out the mobile home fire.
Family members said they want to warn other people not to use wood heaters.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.