ATLANTA - Investigators say a 20-year-old man died in an early-morning house fire on Campbellton Road in southwest Atlanta.
Atlanta fire investigators said Scarri McNeal is the man who died in the fire.
Fire officials said a neighbor saw smoke and flames called 911 at about 2:30 a.m. on Saturday. When firefighters arrived, they saw intense flames coming through the roof, investigators told Channel 2’s Amanda Cook at the scene.
Neighbors quickly alerted firefighters that a person was still inside a back bedroom of the home. Crews went through a bedroom window to rescue McNeal, who was unresponsive. Firefighters performed CPR on McNeal, who was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Investigators believe McNeal died of smoke inhalation. He lived in the home with his parents, who were not home when the fire occurred. It appears that a space heater might have started the fire, but the case is still under investigation.