HENRY COUNTY, Ga. -
Families tried to salvage what they could Sunday afternoon after a fire spread to 14 homes, destroying seven of the properties.
More than two dozen people were forced out of their Stockbridge homes after a fire, fueled by heat and humidity, destroyed their homes on Saturday evening.
The Henry County fire chief said a total of 14 homes were damaged, and seven of those were destroyed at the Flippen Woods subdivision on Goldenrod
Drive and Watercress Court .
"All I could do is get my boys out of the house and the
neighbors out of the house, but it went up in like five minutes," said James Hudson.
He said he heard a popping noise and realized his home was on fire.
He said he was no match for the
fast-moving fire that started at his home and spread to 13 others.
"It was like three to four minutes and the house was engulfed," he told Channel 2's Carl Willis.
Henry County Fire Chief Bill Lacy said his department arrived
at the scene just four minutes after getting the call.
However, within four minutes of their arrival, four homes had flames shooting from their attics.
"It's a very hot day," said Lacy. "It appears the fire jumped from attic to attic on these structures."
Channel 2's Sophia Choi spoke with neighbors about the weekend fire.
"It hurts my heart. There's a lot of kids here and thank God everybody got out safe," neighbor Linda Broadie said.
She also believes the closeness of the homes attributed to the fire.
"These dwellings are maybe less than about maybe five feet apart, so it will affect from one (house) to the next," Broadie said.
Fire crews said the day's scorching temperatures played a part in fueling the fire and keeping crews at bay.
"It helped the material to be drier, so it ignited quicker and also it helped with our fatigue and our being able to get in and get what we needed done," said
Battalion Chief Barry Cooper.
Firefighters had to
carry anywhere from 75 to 100 pounds of gear with them in temperature reaching 105 degrees.
Still, Clifton Jefferies said the only person who needed medical help was his
roommate, who firefighters said had trouble breathing.
Jefferies said she suffered from heat exhaustion after escaping their house.
"The top floor is just totally
gone. There's nothing else there," said Jefferies.
Late Saturday night, the seven affected families salvaged what they could.
Their only comfort is no one was seriously hurt.
"Everybody lost something, whether it's sentimental or not, but we still have life," said James Hudson. "So, I just thank God that my boys are all right. I thank God that each family out here is all right. We each have somewhere to go."
"With some neighbors saying they're not going to rebuild, it really concerns me about the property value," adds neighbor Annette Morris.
According to the Red
Cross,25 people were offered help with housing and other needs.
Families salvage property after fire sweeps through 14 homes
Nearly century-old streetcar tickets found in NYC firehouse
Steve Martin's Carrie Fisher tribute tweet sparks backlash
Watch Debbie Reynolds' charming acceptance speech at the 2015 SAG Awards
WATCH: Debbie Reynolds, Carrie Fisher stun in 2011 'Oprah' performance