Lawmakers echo parents' mission to ban synthetic drugs

by: Linda Stouffer Updated:

ATLANTA - A Fayette County family is on a mission to convince teens not to try synthetic drugs.

David and Yvette Burnett tell Channel 2's Linda Stouffer their son Chase Burnett died because of "spice," or K-2. They think he collapsed in a hot tub after smoking it.

"If you don't think it could it happen to you, then all you need to do is listen to us," David Burnett said.

Chase, 16, was a soccer player at his Fayette County High School and his message to parents is urgent.

"Explain to your children that one time, literally one time, could cost you your life. And it cost our son his life," Burnett said.

The GBI said the autopsy is pending to determine the official cause of death.

Wednesday, Georgia lawmakers gave 'Chase's Bill' overwhelming approval. House members approved the drug ban, which includes tougher restrictions on the synthetics, 166-0.

A GBI spokesman told Stouffer agents helped write the bill to include future chemical modifications that manufacturers might try to use to get around the ban.

Yvette Burnett had a word for the companies that make synthetic pot.

"I think they are murderers to be quite honest, that's the word I'm using for them now," she said.

The parents told Stouffer they plan to speak with local groups and schools to save other children, and they have been overwhelmed by hundreds of letters and messages of support.

"We've got to keep reminding them this stuff is dangerous. Don't even do it once. It's not even worth trying. That's how we keep his memory alive," Yvette Burnett said.

David Burnett said faith is helping the family cope.

"That's where we find peace, knowing that he's in heaven," he said.

The Burnett's have started a scholarship in Chase's name.

You can send your donation to:

The Chase Burnett Scholarship Fund
C/o First Baptist Church Peachtree City
208 Willow Bend Road
Peachtree City, GA 30269