• Former Atlanta Brave Derek Lowe selling $3.5 million Buckhead estate

    By: Nelson Hicks


    ATLANTA,None - Many athletes live in monster mansions on the outskirts of town, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. That's not the case for former Atlanta Brave pitcher Derek Lowe. Lowe's place does have plenty of privacy, but it's in the heart of Buckhead on Peachtree Battle.

    But now it's for sale. Lowe was traded to the Cleveland Indians and has left Atlanta. It's up to one of Atlanta's top luxury real estate agents to sell it, Bonneau Ansley III of Harry Norman.

    GALLERY: See Derek Lowe's $3.5 million Buckhead estate

    "When the Braves decided to pick up Derek Lowe, he only had a couple months before the 2009 season," Ansley told Nelson's News on wsbtv.com. "So, he went out and started looking at houses and found this house, which was under construction. It was probably 75 percent done and they kind of took the remaining 25 percent of the home and made it their own."

    This $3.5 million gated estate features five bedrooms, five full baths, two half baths, a heated saltwater pool and cabana. It's about 7,700 square feet and architect Stan Dixon won a Philip Schutze award for its classical architecture.

    "The terrace level is fantastic," Ansley noted. "It's a great place to watch a ballgame or multiple ballgames with the numerous televisions. It's got a cigar room with its own ventilation system."

    There's a wine cellar and exercise room in the home, too.


    And while the Lowe spent the majority of his time trying to light up batters, evidently, he spent a little bit of time lighting up the dance floor, too.

    "One unusual place in the home is the garage," Ansley said. "It is your standard two-car garage, but it can double as a disco room. It's got a disco ball, circa 1920 from France. You can open up the garage to the pool and (it) serves as a late-night party area."

    Who knew Lowe was a disco man?

    To learn more about the house, check out Ansley's website at bonneau.ansley.harrynorman.com.

    Related: John Smoltz selling his $7.2 million estate

    More million dollar mansions

    Next Up: