Lori Geary joined the reporting team at WSB-TV in January of 1998 while anchoring at CNN Headline News. She's proud to say she has worked every shift at WSB before landing the political beat!
Lori's love for news started early. She actually anchored her high school newscast at North Allegheny High School in Pittsburgh. She majored in Broadcast Journalism at Syracuse University's Newhouse School of Communications. Lori graduated magna cum laude in three years and couldn't wait to start her first reporting job at WRDW-TV in Augusta where she was quickly promoted to noon anchor.
From Augusta, Lori stayed south but moved up to Raleigh, North Carolina where she covered politics and remembers some colorful interviews with Senators Jesse Helms, Elizabeth Dole and a well known lawyer at the time, John Edwards.
Lori has won several awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and the Georgia Associated Press. She is also proud of her two Emmy's she received during her tenure here at WSB-TV. She was recently named one of the best State Political Reporters by the Washington Post.
As part of her beat covering state government, Lori has traveled to Dubai and Cuba covering Governor Sonny Perdue’s efforts to bring more jobs to Georgia. Lori also covered national political conventions in 2008 and 2012. She has also traveled to China to cover Governor Nathan Deal’s economic development trip.
As a parent of two young children, Lori has a passion for helping others, especially children. Lori recently joined the Board of Sunshine On a Ranney Day. The 501-c3 provides dream room make-overs for children with long-term illness. Lori also spends time trying to raise awareness about adrenal cortical carcinoma, a rare form of adrenal cancer that took the life of her mother in 2009.
Lori is also a 2006 graduate of Leadership Atlanta.Lori is a former board member of the Starlight Children’s Foundation and Safe Kids Georgia. She’s been named “One of the Most Influential Georgians” by James Magazine. She’s also the recipient of a Common Cause Democracy Award for her coverage at the State Capitol.
Lori and her husband, Bobby, have a daughter and a son. Lori is an avid animal lover who enjoys spending time with their goldendoodle, Charlie, although she admits, at times he’s a handful!
- Former Atlanta mayor compares Kasim Reed to Donald Trump
- Watchdog group files complaints over Atlanta mayor's use of blue lights
- Video shows aftermath of Cobb County crash involving Mayor Reed's detail
- Poll: Georgia neck-and-neck between Clinton and Trump
- Atlanta mayor's vehicle involved in injury accident while driving with…
- Is Mayor Kasim Reed breaking the law?
- Gov. Deal appoints new attorney general
- Governor declares state of emergency ahead of Hurricane Matthew
- Reaction from voters, political strategists on presidential debate
- The stage is set as Clinton, Trump prepare for first presidential debate
- Poll: Trump increases lead in Georgia
- 51 people, including 2 pregnant women, infected with Zika in Georgia
- Republican withdraws from Electoral College after refusing to vote for Trump
- Clinton, Trump deadlocked in latest Georgia poll
- Exclusive poll: Georgia may become battleground state in presidential election
- Local speech writer weighs in on plagiarism accusations
- Melania Trump speech, rules fury highlight first day of RNC
- Right to Try Act provides new hope for terminally ill patients across Georgia
- Stun guns allowed at public colleges, universities
- Investigation yields blistering report over Red Cross money in Haiti